Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Napoleonic French Painting Report

All 102 of the Victrix and Perry French are now modelled, hand-primed and drybrushed white. The plan is to paint them all using washes. Here is a close-up which shows well the ghostly effect reached by drybrushing white over a black basecoat.
Here is a wider picture showing most of the French models. I tend to make my own washes with the paints I have...the strangest paints can provide the best of washes. One notable example off of the top of my head is Delta Ceramcote's Midnight Blue, which is just a beautiful paint to work with. This time, I'm going to try the GW washes, along with seeing if I can make a good wash with either the Derivan French Blue or one of the Foundry French Blues. I'll see what works.


The miniatures will all be based on 40x40mm bases for Black Powder. I think I'm going to cheat a little on this and glue 2 miniatures to opposite corners of each 40mm base and paint them like that, adding the other singles later. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm handling the skirmisher thing yet. I have enough Voltigeurs; I just need to figure out the basing.

2 comments:

fireymonkeyboy said...

The more I see of these models, the more I like them. Thankfully, the historicals scene around here is a little aenemic, or I'd be tempted to bite off more than I can chew.

Keir said...

I have to say, the Victrix models are exquisite. And I know modeling can be tedious for gamers with busy lives, but I enjoyed it, sitting down, watching the NFL games while filing and gluing away. There was a real sense of accomplishment. They were worth the time it took to build them.

BTW, the Victrix figures have rectangular bases, and those of the Perry miniatures are round.