Sunday, January 31, 2010

Things Wargaming - Short Reviews

I've picked up all of the products below over the past month and I thought I'd share some thoughts about them.


Black Powder is the big new thing for me, so much so that I am currently painting 102French 28mm miniatures! Actions speak louder than words.


Great survey if you don't have any other. The price, with free shipping, from Amazon can't be beaten. However, it has to be said that there are no pictures of French line of any use to a miniature painter in the book.



Great survey if you don't have any other. As above, the price, with free shipping, from Amazon can't be beaten. However, it has to be said (again) that there are no pictures of French line of any use to a miniature painter in the book, and I had to pull out my old Osprey French Line book. A major oversight from Osprey. Risable, really.


My SOA membership has been renewed again. The current production of the SOA magazine, The Slingshot, makes it one of the best available for an ancient wargamer. Kudos to the editor, Mark Watson.


I recently picked up issues 37 - 43 of Wargames: Soldiers and Strategy. Issue 37 had a superb article on refighting Ligny written by Barry Hilton. Elsewhere there were some quite remarkable ventures in translation, different in kind from the prior 36 issues. To give credit, however, most of the errors were entertaining. On the whole, then, still in the top three wargaming magazines for me, and so I will continue to purchase them.


I've been looking for a painting magazine for years. I thought Game Forces would be it, but too much focus on larger scales and busts, and too little on the tricks and techniques used by the painters. Pass.


Well, what a massive improvement the new Wargames Illustrated has shown over the days before it was purchased by Battlefront. I will be subscribing from issue 268 on...I have all the other issues since Battlefront took over. Top drawer stuff!

No comments: