I'm working on the basing of these fellows today. First, I cut several hundred little pieces of plasticard and crazyglued a sufficiency of those on the Praetorians to cover the gaps left on the washers I'm using. Why am I using these metal washers you might ask? For their weight (so the minis will stand on an angled surface) and height (less than a GW or PP plastic base). Their only downside is the tendency to leave these gaps that have to be dealt with, and not always, as can be seen with the Thunderbolt Mountain High Elves. Back to the Romans then, after they dried, more or less, I used a 1:1 mixture of white glue and black primer to affix sand onto the bases. I had to be careful to go back over each and ensure I had removed any sand that covered the toes. Next I will paint the bases, black, followed by a dark earth brown, followed by a drybrush of bone. Then I'll flock them with GW flock, which the best I've ever found.
The next step on the shields completed, being a base of GW TinBitz. Next, painting the final metallic (brass, bronze or gold; I haven't decided yet) followed by another wash of white on the shield, followed by the application of the LBMS transfers, followed by painting the backs of the shields.
These are some of the units I have to add to the army. As you can see there are 3 more units of 24 Legionaries, 4 units of 20, and a unit of 17 skirmishing archers. So 171 miniatures, 51 of which are Foundry, the rest Gripping Beast. I also have a unit of camelry and 2 units of cavalry, and I'll be getting some artillery and an elephant or two. I'm obviously mad, but the plan is a unit a month and the entire army finished by year's end.